Designed for farmers, vets and nutritionists
The eCow farmBolus provides real time pH and temperature data collection inside the rumen of the animal, recording pH and temperature data accurately, every minute for up to 5 months. This data is averaged every 15 minutes to provide 96 readings per day. Stored safely on the bolus, this data can be retrieved wirelessly every time the mobile phone handset is brought within range of the cow.
Once the data has been collected by the handset it can be sent back to eCow for checking and concatenating where trends can be tracked and data can be analysed and returned to the farmer or advisor.
You can see what one commercial partner did with the data here.
A brief example of the data you can expect to see:
pH and temperature data can give unique insights into:
- Acidosis – early warning of SARA
- Feeding patterns
- Movement routines
- Benefits of new feed regimes
- Quality of forage
- Drinking events
- Supplement usage
- With the correct interpretation pH data can lead to improvements in milk yield and animal health.
Some of the key benefits of the farmBolus are:
- Smallest bolus size available today – just 27mm diameter by 135mm long
- Longest bolus life available – 5 months of data collection
- Reliable, stable data – eCow uses the best quality sensors available
- No need to change the feeding pattern of the animal – boluses can be inserted at any point in the daily feeding regime with a standard bolus gun
- Small handset with separate antenna for easy use on farms – visual readout of download status
- Instant data analysis showing: pH graph, lowest pH recorded and battery life
- Auto power off when outside of the animal to preserve battery life
- One end of the bolus is weighted to encourage the bolus to sink into reticulum and keep sensor in the rumen liquor
- Bolus length: 135 mm
- Bolus diameter: 27 mm
- Weight: 207 g
- Specific gravity: 2.7
- Temperature accuracy: +/- 0.1 °C
- pH accuracy: +/- 0.1 pH per 30 days
- Sampling rate: 96 data points per day
- Data storage: 2700 lines (4 weeks at 15 min samples)
- Frequency: 434 MHz
Typically boluses are sold in multiples of 6 utilising eCow’s innovative packaging method that provides protection for boluses through transit and storage.
For more information on rumen monitoring with the farmBolus follow this link.